Saturday, July 13, 2013

Back To Sungei Buloh 2013-07-13

I took bus 925 from Woodlands MRT station to the Kranji Reservoir Park. From there, did a 15-minutes walk to get to the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. At the tourist counter, the lady asked me if I was there for the photography activity to which I said no. There was a big group of photographers there waiting for their friends to finish setting up their instrument. I walked pass them and started my solo trek as usual. Last time I came here, I was pestered by so many mosquitoes. This time, I came prepared with a bottle of mosquito repellant.


I started on the trail at the right. Along the way, I meet 2 separate bird photographers heading back to the tourist counter/entrance. With a friendly gesture, I asked them if they had any luck. Both of them said no birds. I only saw some White-collared kingfishers and mynas. At the midway point, I had to turn back due to the call of nature. On my way back, I heard a call so I looked up and saw a yellow bird. I took some quick shot, but none turned out good.

White collared kingfisher



Common Iora

After I reached the entrance and solved the issue, I returned to the trail and took the left path instead. I also meet a few photographers on the way and some members of the local nature club. At one  point, I saw a couple of ashy tailorbird. I tried capturing a few shots and noticed that although they were constantly on the move, they never really left the area. I soon realized that they were building a nest. Both male and female returned to the nest twice while I was there waiting for them. After they stopped coming, I decided to leave the area as well.





Ashy tailorbird


After a few minutes, I reached the Aerie tower and the area where I reached earlier before I had to turn back. This time, I decided to turn back and try to stalk the tailorbird again to see if they will come back. When I reached the nest area and didn't see them, I simply walked towards the exit. Before reaching the exit, there's a bridge that traverses a stretch of water. Like last time, there was a salt-water croc there. Some nature volunteers were also there with a spotting scope. They were kind enough to show me a dollarbird about 30m away with their scope. I also asked them about the yellow bird I took earlier, which they were able to identify as a Common Iora thanks to a guidebook.

Salt water croc
Dollarbird

Oriental magpie-robin

At the gallery beside the information counter, I noticed another pathway that I hadn't visited the last time I came here. It was another 500m Mangrove walk different from the Mangrove Arboretum that I visited before. I took this path which basically loops back on itself. Along the way, I saw a raptor overhead flying around looking for food, a black-throated sunbird and 2 more Ashy tailorbirds.

Black-throated sunbird





Raptor sp. (juvenile White-bellied sea eagle?)

When I get back to the entrance, I decided to call it a day and head to the bus stop. On my way, I saw a dark object on one of Singtel's antenna. I thought it was a large bird or something. I took a photo and was able to identify it as a Brahminy kite. Later, I changed my mind and identify it as a White-bellied sea eagle.


White bellied sea eagle



Here are some of the other images I took.

Hornet mound?

Olive-backed sunbird

Monitor lizard




No comments:

Post a Comment