Saturday, August 10, 2013

Birding at AngMoKio-Bishan Park 2013-08-04

I returned to Singapore a few days ago to finalize my stay. During weekend, I decided to explore the other nearby parks like the Ang Mo Kio-Bishan Park.

From Sembawang bus interchange, I took bus 167 bound for Bukit Merah. Along the way, I alight at the bus stop nearest Ang Mo Kio Avenue 2. From there, take a short walk to the park. When I arrived there, something on the rail opposite the small creek caught my attention. It was a white-throated kingfisher. I managed to take a few shots before it flew away. As I looked at the bird pictures I took, I was amazed at the difference of the white mark compared to the Philippine subspecies. It definitely has a more prominent white throat extending to the breast. It's like comparing chest hair to a goatee.


White throated kingfisher

As I walked a bit more, few birds were observed. But the landscape was good. There's a small stream, pond and some trees. The park is definitely not a nature park but more an urban park.





After a while, rain started pouring heavily. While the rain started, I also saw a white collared kingfisher, but wasn't able to get a good shot because the rain started to fall heavily so I have to protect my camera and ran to the nearest shelter. I was stuck for an hour or so before it stopped for me to continue my stroll.

White collared kingfisher
 
Midway along the park, I was a bit disappointed that my bird list didn't even reached 10. Fortunately, at the second half of the park trail, I managed to see a few more birds.

Pied thriller

Sunda woodpecker

Scaley breasted munia

Scarlet backed flowerpecker

Spotted dove



Yellow vented bulbul






No comments:

Post a Comment