Monday, March 5, 2012

Planets in the Morning 2012-03-06

I got up early to catch the planets. My initial plan was to capture Mars during this opposition. So I waste no time and grab my EQ-1 mounted Skywatcher 102mm mak and headed to my observing spot. An initial peek at my target showed a slightly boiling disk due to its' current altitude - about 30-40 degrees from the horizon. I decided capture it anyway. However while reviewing my video clip, I decided to just skip the lengthy process of aligning, stacking, and post processing. The seeing was so bad it's not even worth processing the image. Then I switched to another target - Saturn. The ringed planet showed a better seeing due to its' higher altitude. Here are the results after capturing a few clips and processing the image afterwards.



In order to capture Mars properly in it's current location, I have to either get up in the middle of the night or stay up very late. But the orientation of Mars during early evening is the boring plain side and the seeing is usually better after midnight, so my only option is to get up in the middle of the night. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment